Leading on from our introduction to shoe design, this is a creative footwear design program where you will be introduced to the fundamental principles of ‘becoming a shoe designer’. Over the course of 6 weeks you will be encouraged to explore and develop your own shoe design ideas and produce a project of 2D work to portfolio standard.
Over these sessions you will experience a variation of inspiring lectures, practical workshops and individual tutorial with your lecturer Georgina Goodman. You will gain a better understanding of the technical aspects of footwear creation as well as refining your drawing skills. You will test your ideas by producing 3D prototypes, and you’ll be encouraged to explore your concepts further through a research and development process finally defining a range plan and using color and material selection to produce a capsule shoe collection.
This will be an exciting & stimulating course where independent and self-directed study during out of class time will be encouraged to support your course work.
• Refining shoe design techniques - A deeper understanding of drawing and working with the shoe, taping the last, and drawing directly onto the shoe last.
• 3D design development - Paper and collage techniques to gain a greater understanding of the design process.
• Market research and customer profile - students will be introduced to the importance of market research and competitor research and create a short customer profile using words and images to support their work.
• An Introduction to technical development and manufacturing - An introduction to how a design is translated into a factory specification - and an outline of the manufacturing process of the shoe industry.
• Introduction to range development - students will be encouraged to develop a range of shoes using the skills they have gained over the course - using illustration techniques and indicating materials to design a small range.
• Creating a capsule footwear collection, completion of a collection of shoes (4-6 drawings) supported by a customer profile. Presented and drawn to a portfolio standard.
Georgina is a Creative Director and artist. Her driving force has always been to create ‘amazing shoes for amazing women’. Alongside a commercial on-line footwear business she runs a studio practice designing and making art pieces and collectable objects. While footwear has been the focus of this practice for 17 years, Georgina has found a new passion while studying part-time in jewellery design.